Monday 1 March 2010

Roller coaster

I began the day feeling really positive, because I hadn't got the hard work involved with getting my children to eat their breakfast, brush teeth. But yet I'd got the pleasure of seeing them off on their bikes (supposedly, I was gonna be going with them)until both children called me weird!!! Which hurt me so much. It was like I'd gained acceptance into the elite cycling 'club' but was been rejected by my very own children into the ' my own family club' :( so at that point I felt powerless. I let them think that I was ok with their decision, as long as Mum could cycle with them on Wednesday. When if you cycled to school you got, croissants and fresh fruit. But despite my attempts at been more 'normal' and striving to be an active community spirited Mum, Propaganda had had more power. The image of slim fit Mum's who lived in a house with shagpile cream coloured carpets. And persian cats that just don't ever moult or bring birds into the house! The image which is created by all forms of media tools.

I've got to be honest today, and say I didn't enjoy the work as much. It just seemed as if everybody wanted to shout!!! above each other, and yes that's good because it had obviously stirred emotions. But does it make a point of view more valid, just because it's heard, or should I say louder? I think the more valid point is the succinct carefully thought out one. For example, when so many folk discussed loudly the rights and wrongs of an anti cyber bullying campaign. Now all the points that were made, were all equally correct, because it was how the poster had made them feel. And no one could ever deny that. But no one seemed to realise just how effective the 'scary!!' photo of the girl had been. I mean I reckon that advert was discussed in a heated fashion, for a good 15 minutes. I think it's an image, that no one involved in that will forget too easily, so extremely powerful and effective.

Ooooh sorry if I sound like an old grumpy fart!!!

Briefly, another example of the power of media, my wee girl, has just gone out to tidy the garden, in preperation for sunny weather!! Now, I have a battle with her most days after school, to get changed if she's playing out. But she spyed this 'chic' looking model, in 'bliss' mag, or s'thing like that. Under the heading 'Fun In The Garden' and she went out in an outfit she'd put together using a mix from her wadrobe, to emulate the one in the magazine. The power, of suggestion??? I reckon there are the odd exceptions to the rule, like a certain X Factor contestant, who unfortunately grew fame for not been terribley attractive!! (I feel like I will be struck down, by some God, for condeming s'one without knowing them?)On the whole in order to succeed at anything, in this world a person is at an advantage if they are attractive - physically. And the media knows this, so fills it's glossy mags with young and vibrant images. Tobacco advertisers, don't show you the hard facts behind tobacco, like cancer, funerals, deformed babies etc. In other countries they go to the opposite extreme, (im suprised they don't have David Beckham, running to the touch line at half time to get a light!!) And why do you think Tony Blair was such a successful PM? If I had to 'av' him or William Hague? I know who I'd have chosen :D

I (came back, and had some fairly urgent emails to deal with about some work I do on a Tuesday, for Social Services. Cycled to see the nurse, and just so I wouldn't get into a tangle again, because I'd forgotten to take the lock off my trike. Or something equally as dumb. I shackled it to a tree, which I know theoreticly is a no no. Because someone might just saw the tree. But I kinda figured if someone did that??? They just might be noticed. Anyway, the good news is, I aint got a moist healing dressing on it, I've got a dry dressing on, and Ive got fresh dressings to change it myself, in a couple of days. And get this........ I aint got to go back for EIGHT days, WOW, so it's not quite time for the tin of biscuits, for all the nurses, at the surgery. But ...???

No comments:

Post a Comment