Monday 1 February 2010

'Scanners'

My head feels a bit like 'Scanners' (a film in the 80's, where if your head became to full of knowledge. Your brains blew out) But basically we learnt about varying factors and how they might effect an individuals health. For example, I am really lucky in the fact that I have built up a strong network of friends. ( but I do feel I have earned it through my humour, and counselling skills. And my kettle always been there if someone needs to chat. ) Also my 'Mum network, at the school gates, rely on me at times for when they can't make it. (like today, I speed cycled up to school, because I knew one of the Mums wasn't going to make it in time)

One of my negatives of the past 5years has been my ex husband leaving. I have never hated anyone as much as I did my ex bezzy mate, and now? I couldn't give a toss really, but why should I make things easier for her as she squirms past at the school gates? But anyway getting back to the subject....My friends helped me out a lot last week, taking me to the solicitors, collecting my children from school. And joining me in the pub later. Where we had to physically carry Jez down the steps. All of which had a direct influence on my health.

Speaking as a person with a disability, I would say that physical structure/landscape of my property is of up most importance. For example, I can't climb the stairs without a banister. I have ramps leading to my back door , so that I can ride my bike up to the shed at the top of my drive. If I wasn't quite needy, I'm sure that social services, would have never agreed to fitting a 'wet room' into my house and taking the bath away. If I had been a wealthy person, I could have had this fitted myself, but obviously it's needed. Because the council is paying, and why shouldn't I be able to shower, as easily as a non 'disabled person or a wealthy disabled person, whose paid for the wet room. Surely I have the same standards?

With me, big, big problems occurred a few weeks ago. When I was having to have the dressing on my leg changed quite frequently and there was snow on the ground, meaning I couldn't cycle, because outside my shed was so slippy although the roads were relatively clear. No one could comprehend, that I could jump in a taxi, even walk up my drive, but I couldn't get my trike to the road, leaving me helpless. Why isn't everyone capable of thinking outside the box just sometimes?

Can you imagine how hard it must be speaking to a Dr, about an embarrasing itch, or growth/pain. If you don't speak English?

I also am lucky now, (this sounds mad) but now all my money is mine, and I havent got a very extravegant hubby spending the food money. I can shop at Tesco, which is fairly good food. Not as good as Sainsburys, in terms of variety, I know. But I used to shop at Netto and Farm foods, when I was with my ex.

Have I written enough now Debs? :D

Thank's to Rob 1 for correctly identifying my new little project called Rob!! - I seem to have found my niche in life, and that is encouraging Robs to cycle. Hello Rob1,2 and 3

I spoke to Steve Marsden (CTC) who is so supportive of my new project.

No comments:

Post a Comment