Friday 10 December 2010

I found it :)

Sent on the 14th of Oct, in my very ham/kerry fisted way.

I hesitate as I write this, because I'm not all together sure that I've got this right? But if I have could you please explain a little further to me?

In 1988 I had a disabling RTA, which did in fact leave me in a wheelchair for a number of years. I attended Rehabilitation Therapy for two and a half years, learning to walk, talk, generally function!! But after suffering such a traumatic brain injury, the residual effects, are life long, and permanent now. With this in mind, I've been given the DLA for life now. Using this money, I have in the past bought a regular 7 seater Zaphera, which my non disabled husband drove. But now he has left me, and in an effort to gain some health and independence so I can continue to take care of my 2 young children, I learnt to cycle a 3 wheeled recumbent trike.

I have become a bit of a local celebrity, being a Health Champion, a Cycle Champion with the CTC, and a member of the Inclusive Cycling Forum. I cycle the school run everyday, but yet I cannot walk more than 30yards?? And my cardio vascular has improved immensely. In fact I have not needed to see my GP for 15months.

So I'll get back to my initial query? Is it correct that I wasn't charged VAT for a car that my husband drove? But was in fact charged about £500, for trying to improve my life by cycling, a 3 wheeled recumbent trike??????

I don't mean to be confrontational, that's not my style. I am genuinely puzzled, as to why, I don't understand the logic, behind it??

Caroline, Totley.
Sheffield,

3 comments:

  1. I notice the UK Govt are giving £5000 grants to people buying electric cars... http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/04/16/electric-cars-offers-5k-discount-by-government/
    If dubiously beneficial electric cars are of sufficient social benefit for the govt to be giving away this money then surely bikes should be getting a greater discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention that if you worked for a participating company you could get a bike to commute on effectively income-tax free through the Cycle to Work scheme.

    So the Government does recognize the benefits of cycling in the tax system (even if its implementation is so inefficient and cack-handed that a lot of companies don't support it (and also regressive)).

    Best
    WaitForPete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rob and Pete, it's all contradictory evidence, he will find, I'm sure :) You could always write to your MP? just reminding them.

    ReplyDelete