Thursday 2 December 2010

I'm fed up, predictably

I aint really cycled properly for 6 days, and whilst I enjoyed the fact that I wasn't beating myself up about 'taking time out'. I've had enough now. I really hate the snow, It's a good job everything grinds to a halt, because I wouldn't be able to do owt because 'my little darlings' have been off all week. And they keep piling outside onto the park, playing 'Snow Angels' coming back in for Hot Chocolate, draping wet clothes on radiators around the house. Only to repeat the whole scenario an hour later. I musn't grumble, I did miss them in the peace and tranquility I experienced this afternoon.

An email Steve M sent today, lets hope it does the trick.


Hi Jenny.


I thought I would let you know why I support Caroline and should be offered every opportunity to continue cycling. Her trike is her lifeline if a break down occurs, by break down I mean it could be something as simple as a flat tyre. For a non disabled person, this takes a matter of minutes, for Caroline, I have known her persevere, at pumping a tyre for 2hrs and still not be successful. She has been on our basic maintenance course but I know the she finds it difficult to fix faults on her bike. Some of the faults could be much more complex where her trike might spend a few days in Recycle workshop, the knock on effect of Caroline not cycling, doesn't only affects her personal health and frame of mind, but affects her family too. I have spoken to her on many occasions when her trike is off the road and I know how much it affects her. After working hard to take steps forward in her independence, she is easily knocked back and looses some of her independence having to ask friends and family to meet her children from school, and give her lifts, to visit her sick Mum, instead of cycling to a bus stop, and using public transport, she has to use taxies.

I know cycling isn't the only useful community activity she does, her active 'Role Model' at The Wheels For All, cycling is crucial and very supportive, I know it inspires her as much as it does the people she comes into contact with. We as part of the CTC, went through the experience of Caroline spending 8 months choosing her present trike that the CTC helped her buy the trike, that we do know which ones 'work' for her, this is why I recommend and because of her inability to look downwards and balance issues a low riding recumbent is ideal. And the Greenspeed Anura is ideal.

I hope this helps Caroline and yourself in making the decision.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment