Monday 12 July 2010

Wet

I am only just warm, and my eyelids are soooo heavy. Steve phoned early today saying, it is very wet outside Caroline, I'll totally understand if you don't want to go out? I'm ok, thanks I don't mind a bit of rain, was my reply. Much to Steve's secret disappointment I think!! He made a map of the 9 lanes of traffic, and explained which way we would go, bless him he's very patient with me. I was very conscious of him being right behind me all the way, and I was pleased with my performance (not that it was difficult, mind you.) It's just along time since Steve and I have cycled anywhere, together, Other than York, and we'd both got other responsibilities.

I'm such a dolls head at times! I cycled (like a car!!) in my head, so much so that I rode straight through the cycle box, and a red light!!! (Iwas only following the car infront) :D Next thing Steve was at my side, as I halted because I sensed danger. 'Caroline that was absolutelly great,' he said except where do you think You'll go now? I was a bit scared I freely admitted, now I had wanted to just nip behind the car infront, as it beat the lights, and had I been a fast car that would have been fine, but I wasn't likely to make it, bnefore the oncoming traffic started to roar. We had several attempts at this, everytime the lights were different, I didn't get killed but, my stress level was immense. Then we tried a way my bro had suggested, which was very easy, and we both believed we'd solved the problem. Until I turned round and wanted to come back through the lights, six times they changed before mine give way and went green, no matter how much Steve reversed and rode in front of the lights, jumping and flapping his arms about!! We did a ui at my Mums again, and I cycled left at the lights, only to be penned into the curb, by a HUGE cattle carrier, the drivers behaviour, didn't really suprize me , as I imagined he treated cyclists in the same manner, as the poor animals who stuck their noses through the bars of his lorry. I could hear Steve telling me to keep going, and that I was doing everything right, as he yelled it over the sound of the noisy engine. I turned in as soon as I safetly could. Steve turned in to, and suggested we have a coffee. We had now been out three and a half hours, it was very wet, Steve was cold. But wanted to keep going as long as I did, but confessed of his fears, with the truck incident. How could he face D* and F*, if I had died??? We both agreed it was safer, for me to go on the pavement for the time being anyway, and headed home. Vowing we'd try again in a few months.

Still wet, and an insy bit disappointed, because I think that was me going to the limit of my capabilities. And so it's difficult for me to accept, that that's me. I then cycled to meet my children, and we all returned, and got snuggly and warm, dry and fed. And I thought my determination, has got it's limits too, and I think i'd just found that limit, because I'd wanted to.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like you've been a lot braver than I would have been in the same situation. I'm such a wuss when it comes to cycling in heavy rain!

    I think for cycling ever to become a significant and useful mode of transport in this country there is going to have to be some serious cycling infrastructure put in place. Big time. I personally just don't want to mix with trucks, buses, cars and pedestrians when I'm cycling. Your reaction of being scared, frightened or whatever is to me a very normal one.

    I can see that changing things nationally for cyclists is a monumental task. I have no easy answers. This isn't the Netherlands and we haven't got the infrastructure. But the lack of good infrastructure is the reason that so few people here cycle. A small number of people cycle - I do, but it is scary at times. It is so sad that there is a huge untapped group of potential cyclists out there who are just too scared for themselves, for their families and their friends. What a lost opportunity. Excellent infrastructure will do it, nothing else, nothing less.

    I think it is great that you have gained so much pleasure from cycling - I get such a kick from the wind whistling through my hair and just feeling free and in touch with my environment. Do please keep biking and blogging but also don't feel you're on your own or in a small minority when it comes to deciding there are places not to go. You and Steve seem to have given it a really good go and come to a sensible solution. No need for disappointment! Keep blogging, keep cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just safety in numbers - a key campaign with CTC that would make a lot of people feel more comfortable, always seeing other cyclists around and making their presence something even the most thick skinned motorists cannot ignore, but when you have a few hundred cyclists voicing a complaint that the lights won't change then something will be done today and not 'when we have the time'

    Likewise when you have several hundred cyclists going through a junction during the day and goig the safe and direct route that works for cycling the roads engineers cannot put in a facility which is not fit for that purpose. It will be ignored, complained about and they will be derided widely for their incompetence in designing for cyclists.

    Just keep plugging away there, and remember that we only get more cyclists out there is they each individually decide that they are going to get out there on the road, You found a level of comfort for your current ability and confidence.

    ReplyDelete