Sunday 24 October 2010

My Letter to East Midlands

I will try to keep this brief and to the point, because to be honest, it hurts me so much inside to keep reliving the horrible experience. I was invited to attend the AGM of the 'Inclusive Cycling Forum' in my new role, as a Welfare Officer. Now because the meeting was in Birmingham, we all traveled by public transport from various parts of the UK, by public transport, to New Street. My journey plans had begun about a month previously I had phoned to book Travel Assistance, for myself and my mobility cycle. The operator, checked the dimensions of my cycle and assured me, that I could infect travel on the trains I was booked onto, without having to fold my trike. As I'm not terribly dexterous, due to disability, and my mental capacity would make it nearly impossible to reassemble, when I got off the train. I began my journey at Dore in Sheffield, and with minimal fuss, it was great!! The guard was helpful, and I had a friend at hand if needed. I will be recommending Northern Rail. Once at Midland Station, although I was approached by a couple of Platform Staff, and told not to cycle. They did indeed except the fact that it was 'my wheelchair'. And once I'd found my 'assistance', he led me through the station clearing my way.

I boarded my East Midlands Train to Birmingham, with very little fuss, as my cycle simple rolled into the Guards Van. This was fantastic, I thought, and for once, I felt at one with my fellow passengers. Not inferior, or singled out in anyway. I could look ahead instead of staring at my shoes.

I arrived at New Street and I was greeted by a fantastic guy called Leeson, who was so helpful, he had exactly the right attitude, not in the least bit patronizing, which is often a mistake, the helping services make. I told him I'd be back for the 17.30 train back to Sheffield.

My ICF meeting went well, where we discussed my forthcoming appearance on ITV and my journey to London etc.

On my return to the station, Leeson found me and realised I was in time to catch the train 30minutes earlier than the scheduled one. So I asked if he could telephone ahead to make my assistance in Sheffield aware that I was on the 1703 out of New Street. The cupboard space was not quite big enough for my cycle, and everyone was starting to flap including myself. Because the train was due to depart, with a shuv, my cycle jammed, much to my relief. I could continue my journey home. I bid my farewell to Leeson,. who I am not apportioning any blame too. When on the train, I repeated to a train guard that I would require assistance and could someone please check that they had been notfied at Sheffield, that I was in fact 30mins early.

As we pulled into Sheffield Midland Station, I pushed my way through Bradford City football supporters, who were to be my knights in shining armor . Expecting at least 1 member of staff to help me, no one did ? So once stationary I had to lean out of the train and SHOUT down the platform for some help. A member of platform staff, gave his own quick assesment of the jammed cycle, turned to me and said 'Tough, I'm not shifting that!!!, You'll have to leave it. The train needs to go' The young men who'd witnessed this, were indeed mortified. And very quickly kicked my cycle out of it's jammed position, because the train was about to leave for Edinburgh!!! with me and my cycle!!!

Once off, I asked the very reluctant platform staff if they were in fact going to take me to where I catch my Dore train please? All 3 of them turned and said 'Don't expect help from us love!!!' Crying I made my way to customer services. (with great difficulty I might add, as my cycle had been broken, in transit. The left brake, the steering, and the seating position, and a flat tyre.) all of which are repairable if you are physically capable but I'm not) At customer services, they were reluctant to help but did a little. This guy pointed me to the wrong platform to wait for my Dore train, whilst waiting I saw 'Chris' who had kept a watchful eye on me at the start of the day. I was SOOOO glad to see him. At the end of a very arduous day. It was such a shame, I have discovered that I can't be independent and spontaneous, and rely on the rail service to offer help.

Caroline Waugh

8 comments:

  1. Is there any damage you need help with? Or just stuff knocked about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Chris from 'seven league boots' fame? Managed to bend the steering back . But My seat has sunk, I haven't really felt like looking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pity no one suggested that Ziggy was put in the wheelchair space in the next coach - should fit OK as width is same as a wheelchair, no need to damage anything - the only tricky bit might be that the back wheel might need lifting up slightly to fit the space and tied on to the luggage rack above with a bungee. You did very well, and I hope the damage is generally superficial so things can be moved back and retightened.

    CTC has regularly pointed out that a) he Bombardier design of bike storage on all Voyager trains is crap and b) offered to work with them and the new franchisee (2007) to put this right when the trains were converted at great expense with DfT specifying a lot of the detail. The result is even worse that the original design many cyclists report wheels damaged and the bikes either jam up against the side of the coach and damage both or swing about crashing in to the sides of the bike cupboards.

    I think you must have travelled on a Cross Country HST train going to Birmingham (there are no E Midlands ones). I should have emphasised my comment that Ziggy would not fit the daft bike cupboard on the XC Voyagers and should have gone in the wheelchair space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I think there was a guy in a wheelchair, he was possibly in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, a hazard of changing the plan in a big rush and also the poor internal design of this type of train - tons of space that cannot be used to accommodate passengers whilst all that useless cupboard area and fixed seats get dragged around empty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I travelled on a Danish train there were 3 carriages, one with no fittings what-so-ever... Seemed like a good plan - cram in commuters if need be, no problem with wheelchairs or, in my case, just Brompie...
    I can't work out why the train people don't want customers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as the seat fabric isn't cut (it is tough - made to go between the decks of racing boats) it'll probably just come back into shape. If it doesn't then it is usually just a matter of pulling the elastic tight. You'll want a couple of big friends with strong grips for that - it is going to be an Olympic sport - recumbent seat wrestling!!! Just work any slop in the elastic up to the top and tie it off. It is MUCH easier said than done, but can be a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will have been an XC train but Sheffield Station is run by East Midlands Trains. Neither company comes out of this exactly smelling of roses do they?

    ReplyDelete