Thursday 14 October 2010

Tired, but happy

Folk are really caring for me, I'm not worthy:O)

Firstly, there's Ziggy? Rob has offered if I can get her to him, to take a look and I trust him more because he has 'feelings' for Ziggy :O) having owned her once. And then there's Dave, Kev, and Derek, who are bending over backwards to get me to Birmingham. And the words of support from Gillian, who I've offered encouragment, contacts too. It's like one big happy family.

I've written an email, and sent it to the Treasury, asking why, my mobility car that my non disabled husband used to drive was VAT exempt. But yet, when I try and better myself by becoming more independent, healthy, happier and confident, by buying a cycle. I am punished with a £500 VAT bill. Bla bla bla, I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here.

I had a fantastic day today, it was such fun. So thank you to Autism Plus the 11 o'clock group. You really were great fun, even a young man, who didn't feel like cycling today. Instead he wanted to play tag, being chased round the ball court by trainers, and Carers, occasionally slapping hands with them 'doing 'Hi Five' He loved it and so did we, because back at 'Home' he leans against the wall looking sad :( Another, who when he first attended couldn't even rotate the pedals round, merrily hummed as he very slowly and steadily cycled.

We hugged Goodbye and then cycled back, for a lovely fruit cake, which I had brought for a treat.

My main fear about travelling to a strange (?) city is the traffic!! and apparently inorder to get to the Birmingham library, it is pedestrian/bike from the train station :) I'm excited now :)

8 comments:

  1. Ah, if you're heading for Birmingham then we're pretty much en route....
    Yeah, them govt types will give anyone £5000 towards the batteries for an electric car. That is a lot of bike discounts if they were really interested in 'green' transport.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thing is Rob, I am going via train, and returning the same day after a long meeting and cycle ride.

    I know it's wussy, but one thing at a time, but thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depending on what Rob thinks the problem might be he could catch the train to Birmingham with you and if its just a matter of tightening up a few bolts he has around 40 minutes to do this on the train (I used to manage to build a wheel on a 40 minute train journey).

    If its simple but takes a bit longer he could do something whilst you are in your meeting, and if it is more serious he simply catches the train back to Derby/Burton, doing what he can to make things work until the proper fix can be effected.

    On balance I would opt to get anything loose or out of adjustment dealt with before it starts to wear out, or do more damage through being used in this way.

    RE your VAT letter - I did come across a guy who claimed that his friend did get a tricycle without having to pay VAT because of successfully making this case, but there is no consistent national instruction for the Regional VAT Offices, or presumably for staff answering enquiries from retailers and people like you who want to buy a special cycle as a mobility aid

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is recycle,if its in sheffield i could get it there in back of van,y is it going to recycle.ice stopped using sumf hubs because they were too unreliable

    ReplyDelete
  5. ring me if you want 07590735352

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's actually at Heeley. So this end really. But it's been fixed now.

    I'm not sure, it isn't owt to do with the Slumfphf apparently. The problem was in the Nexus rear hub. Do I sound geeky? because I ain't a clue what I'm on about!!

    But thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about the reliability of the Schlumpf. This guy, Scott Waland, goes up mountains with his: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=7710&v=3h&term=scott%20wayland&context=all

    Was the Nexus off adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nexus is a bit tricky as all the wonderful stuff happens with just a single cable. It has to be set up pretty accurately so I guess no surprise if the cable stretches or slips in the clamp.

    ReplyDelete