Tuesday 5 October 2010

Ooooooooh 4days and counting

I'm becoming a bit obsessed now, I must be very tiresome to talk with???

I rang my mate Rog today, to discuss the possibility of me taking Ziggy, (secretly I wanted him to say, I could cycle on the pavement) he did promise me a guided ride through Hyde Park, but we wouldn't be able to avoid the Rds but he did say there were Cycle Lanes. So with my heart beating loudly in my chest, and I swear it was banging into my ribs!! I phoned East Midlands trains, and the woman I spoke to was delightful, she was so helpful!!! but the answer was still no, because the only trains that ran out of Sheffield were Merians???? and there wouldn't be enough room to turn Ziggy. I asked if I brought her down, tried and failed. Was there somewhere secure I could leave Ziggy for the night??? Apparently not......? So we hit on the idea of me borrowing a cycle whilst I was down there, to get about on.

Urmmmm I kind of arranged to see this guy, whilst there, we were going to go for a cycle ride. But I don't know him, don't know the area, so he's cycling to the hotel on his recumbent and joining me and the rest of The Cycle Show Folk, so we can all be geeky together.

:D I caught my party bus today to Tesco today, and was so laden with shopping bags, well i had 4 plus a trolley. So I asked Pat, if I could collect half on his next run back from the store? I emptied a couple of strong bags secured them to Ziggy and returned to the bus stop, when Pat text to say he was on his way. How nice is that? He does it all for a cream bun, and a bottle of whiskey once a year!! (Im sure he really does it for a smile)

Hey felt really resourceful today, It's good being the middle man sometimes :)

7 comments:

  1. Ziggy is a 'folding cycle' - you don't need the train people's permission. Just folder her in half and go!!!
    Ok, so you might need some practice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how to fold the length, but I can't make it narrower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter, all "folding cycles" are accepted.
    Might need a bit of eyelid batting tho.

    Best
    WaitForPete

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) the London services are also operated by HST's and I've seen these at Sheffield as well as the Meridians

    2) ziggy should fit in the space they have but if not folded you'll need to place the trike on its side - wheels against the wall.

    3) you are actually using Ziggy in place of a mobility scooter - thua you are using a class 1 invalid carriage, which should be permitted to travel in the wheelchair space.

    Will call - I Hope - later

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I hope you are better soon Dave. You did sound pretty dreadful!! Fingers crossed for Thursday. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greenspeed track = 75 cm but width over extremities (wheelnuts/clips) is 83cm - RVAR standards set a MINIMUM width for getting a standard wheelchair through a doorway as 80cm but a preferred width for wheelchair access is 90cm (RIBA manual - Selwyn Goldsmith).

    Options are 1) remove the front wheels 2) turn cycle on its side (or stand it upright) to pass through a doorway.

    Folded with wheels on the footprint is roughly that of a standard wheelchair

    It will fit in the bike bay on a Meridian with wheels resting on the side of the compartment - Unfortunately I cannot really afford the time or fares to nip down to Sheffield for this trip but on my next 'access' (sic) trip I could see if it is possible to do a dry-run when the last trains of the day come in to Sheffield and at least one stays there - or even if it goes to Leeds (Neville Hill) we take a trip to Leeds and come back on the slow train.

    PS still laden with chest, nose and chill/aches - another dose from the 40 fl oz medicine bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget that you have three valuable weapons in your armourer Caroline. If you hop on board with Ziggy and refuse to get off they can't afford to have the train running late; then there's the disability card to play: this is my mobility device; lastly tears and they may be the most efective :0)

    ReplyDelete