Thursday 27 May 2010

Fantastic Day!!!!

What a super day it was today, at Hillsborough!!! The first of many hopefully:) But talk about in at the deep end!! No one had booked in for the first slot 10-11, and I had just received a text from a young survivor of brain damage. Saying she wasn't going to make it :( When in through the door burst 9 young folk from an 'inclusive school', and their very competent teachers (3) Fred and Nick sorted the cycles, and the forms , I kinda made everyone welcome, and found them a helmet. We walked down to the courts, as appose to riding. Once there, we matched people up to bikes depending on ability. I walked next to a blind young lady, with the teacher on the other side. This person was usually confined to a wheelchair in a dark exclusive world, and here she was with very little help from us cycling for the first time, on Gretal actually!! This was amazing to witness, and I was glad I could play a little part.

Meanwhile the others chose their cycles, I let this chap borrow Ziggy, and he was off. They loved it!!! An hour passed and they said they would like to return next week at 10 :)

We were putting the cycles back, and another 4 peeps, had come for a ride. Not really knowing any ones history, or capabilities. We grabbed a mixture of cycles and went back to the court, to mix and match. Only 2 of them were actually wanting to try our wonderful cycles. And we soon sorted them. On our return to the cycle bunker, a young man approached saying 'Ahh this must be Ziggy?' he said pointing at my cycle. :) I smiled, he had read this blog, it's great!!! I asked him if he wanted a go? He accepted, and was amazed at how easy she was to ride. I was soooo proud :) He introduced himself, and said he'd actually picked up some information about today from the Brain Injury Awareness Day, last week. But I hadn't met him because I'd been off somewhere gossiping - ooops!! I offered to make him a cuppa, because I wanted one really.

Back at the Park Keepers lodge, where the kettle is (lets get priorities right). We bumped into Andy, a chap Steve (CTC) and I had met at 'Flourish', he had been very impressed with Ziggy then, and had come to Hillsborough to have a go on the cycles. Anyway, I introduced him to Fred, and Fred, being the lovely kind friendly person that he is. Hit it off with him and whilst I did tag along, I really wasn't needed. So I made my excuses and left at about 2. Feeling thoroughly knackered!!

I really enjoyed cycling, and enabling others to cycle today. It was fab!!!

6 comments:

  1. Pimp my trike? That's soliciting isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ziggy is my passion waggon, well we all need s'thing. And she proves at times, to be a right man magnet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the day went well. I'm looking forward to visiting on one of the Thursdays. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Billy, thank you for reading my blog, and keeping up with my drivel at times. I do talk sense sometimes, and it comes from the heart :) Do I know you? Have I met you yet? When you phone and book, make sure you ask, when I'm in.

    I love receiving new comments, and will always answer if I can.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends what you mean by know :0)
    You know me by another name with icf. When I originally selected a profile (aeons ago) on google I picked my dog's name, which happens to be one of my names and my son's name, and my uncle's, and my grandad's for several generations past; it all sems to complicated to change :0)
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I give in.....reveal your identity? and not the convolussed Billy :)Billy's a cool name though.

    I've been a rite boring git today, so I thought I wouldn't bore everyone.

    Hope to see you soon, we're open this week, despite it being school holiday time.

    C x

    ReplyDelete