Friday 17 June 2011

The Picnic @ Hillsborough

Well the black clouds loomed over the park, and there was an icey breeze as the birds flew back to their nests, b4 the downpour. That ne' happened, but boy did it threaten too!!

When I'd arrived there, no one had seemed terribly concerned, that we were possibly gonna get 100 folk, coming to cycling. So we all set about the day as usual. Dave and another guy from Pedal Ready, who I haven't met b4, took the Cycle For Health group down to the courts, so that folk could see how competent they were on a different/borrowed cycle. There were 10 riders and one non rider. (not for long though!!) Dave soon taught her, which kinda made me want to do it. :(

The court had 3 very busy groups on it, that morning, CFH had soon split into 2 smaller groups, the more able and the less so. And my Fave group from Autism Plus had arrived, Oh and remember Marjorie? she was cycling round the path which runs round the perimeter, under the watchful eye of her husband.

Fred looked at his watch and said, 'I think you ought to go up to the cabin, your guests will be arriving!! I didn't like the way this had suddenly become 'My Picnic!!' But I am now :)

As folk started to arrive, it became really evident, that a) the grass was too damp, and the threat of rain was imminent, b) The cabin was not gonna house everyone!! So A+ who are already convinced by the merits of cycling, kindly offered to move to the bowling pavilion. Whilst Dave, Nick, and Fred fetched an assortment of cycles over to the cabin, and I answered my phone a billion times and made drinks for those who had arrived.

Matt from my Creative Writing Group, had kindly brought Steph and Gwyneth, and Lawrence along. I showed Steph and Gwyn the side by side cycle, and offered to take them for a ride, so off we set on a trip round the park. It was great hearing Steph scream with pleasure as we picked up speed. (keeping safe and sensible at all times - honest) And Steve M (CTC) was eating his butties, in the now calm as the groups had moved on. So I introduced everyone, and kinda left them to it, but didn't really and Steve made me aware that I kept finishing off peoples sentences, (ooops) I can't help it s'times, I get too excited, and I'm just trying to help :)

Lawrence explained that his bike badly needed fixing, and a discussion followed about where and how, and Steve asked Lawrence to call him, and he would help out. I hope he does, because I feel Lawrence would benefit from Steve's attention, as I have.

I left them all to it, as my taxi arrived at 2, to bring my trike and I back to Totley. I still felt a bit hyper, because of the days activities, but satisfied, that with we at Hillsborough, had pulled off another successful day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment