Wednesday 3 November 2010

Bert

Ey, I'm rite happy folk read my blog, a friend of mine 'Bert' who hasn't read it for about a year, just glanced yesterday. And presumed I was thinking about surgery, anyway he's just called me to tell me all about his experience. Which I've got to say, has been the first positive one I've heard about. But that's human nature to be more interested in bad news, I know it's the grusome truth :)

There were seven of us in the group today, and the object of it was to get public reaction, to what the criteria for receiving free Bariatric surgery should be, hope you follow?

I am open minded after talking to Bert because for some folk it can be 'a life saver' literally, and it can certainly help them retuern to some type of normality. Steven on the other hand today, whilst initially after having the surgery 5 years ago, and losing 9 stone, had recently put 7 of it back on.

He walked with a stick, partly because he had had to have surgery on his knees, and partly because of his weight. Oh I so wanted to help the guy, he would so benefit from some sort of cycle, very obviously for the exercise, but for his independence and general Well Being.

I soo want to help Steven, so I gave him, my card and offered to meet him at Hillsborough tomorrow, but he can't do that, but he says he might do the week after. (i hope so, but doulbt it)

But the wo,men organising it, wanted to book me for future health talks :) And I met Judy, the Chair person for arc an arthritus group, in Rotherham. And she wanted me to visit them and just talk, something that comes easily to me, I know.

I popped into see my Mum, and was so happy because I had honestly thought that she didn't understand what was happening. When infact with outstretched arms she congratulated me, as soon as I walked in. Apparently all the staff had seen it, it was great. And I think because everyone was sort of following it at the home, Mum felt right 'in on it'

I had in fact got a taxi back from the meeting so, I hadn't got Ziggy. But once home, I took Ziggy out of the shed, It's been so long - 2 days actually. I love her sooo much, why can't everyone see how good cycling could make them feel, I suppose today worked as a bit of an eye opener. I know that whilst ever I keep exercising it won't. Because Although I aint slim I do actually feel quite healthy.

Thank you everyone for dropping me a line last night, it's great this little very supportive community. Speaking of which, Paul the cycle mechanic, is coming for Ziggy whilst I'm in London. And having her for a couple of days, because my arse is only a few inches from the floor!!

2 comments:

  1. Well I've got my dongle out and plugged it in and it works, so I'm currently in Haddenham and off to Bicester, but at the bus show yesterday I was half in a converstion with a bus parts supplier who had, with his wife shed approaching 20 stones between them. He was evangelising strongly about the joys of cycling to the local shop instead of driving there as he used to, and how his waist measurement had dropped from over 50 inches to 36 - the biggest problem being the black tie dinner last night, where he was waiting for a last minute job to arrive - his dress suit trouser needed massive retailoring work! So there is hope for you Caroline.

    Also at the show I did some gentle plugging for the cycle as a mobility aid and whay such cycles might be carried on buses... more to you as an e-mail.

    My transfer journey would have meant cyclong from New Street to Moor Street in Birmingham, but the announcer called up a Reading train just about to leave - so I caught this and the train crew know Leeson, he works for Network Rail, so I'll pass on your news if I see him on my next visit to Birmingham.

    I'm glad that someone else is doing the job on Ziggy's seat corset, but interested to pick up any tips on ways to relace and retension the webbing sleeve. You never know when such things might be useful.....

    Must dash and check other stuff for today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, I'm sure you'll get lots of Press Release emails, originally from the Well Being consortium. I'm not sure, but you may not be credited for your nomination, on all of them. But thanks from me xx

    Because everyone, wants a bit of me (when it suits em!!)I can't remember all, so please will you make sure the CTC apprechiate your role, in all this. Thank you, xxx

    ReplyDelete