Friday 26 November 2010

Where I'm at :( not a good place

I do so much for the SDS team!!! I have become an embassador, and trainer, but no more!!!!

I spoke to Steve, well sobbed down the phone, before I sent him this copying my social worker in. (Im deciding whether to send it to the Manager of SDS, who I'm really fond of and her me????)



My request for a new trike, has been seen as an extravagant solution. I know it's not your fault Jenny I'm just including you, so you can see where I'm at.

I wish I could mend Ziggy (my trike) myself. I don't feel fab, having to reveal to the world just how inept I am. When asking for someone to come and pump my tyre, or fix the brake. My children repaired her the other day. But I cant!!

Of course, when I ask a Mum, to watch Finn home, because I can't cycle to school because I can't fix Ziggy. Or if they could do me a favor, and bring me a pint of Milk. I missed a vital flu jab the other week, because I had a puncture, which could have had serious implications. But because I rewarded someone, with a bottle of cheap bubbly for changing my tyre, the following week. I was able to cycle to the drs, have my jab. Go to 'Recycle', have a meeting about the 'Innovation Fund', leave my trike overnight. Pick her up in a taxi the following morning, on my way to Hillsborough Inclusive Cycling.

Above are the non selfish reasons why I need a spare trike, If I'm being selfish, I would say it's because I LOVE cycling, and being awake, and alert. It keeps me involved with the progress of folk at Autism Plus, who I see every week at Hillsbro' . My work there was recently valued, by a national panel as being the most pride worthy in Yorkshire, of it's kind. Do you think, I'm proud of admitting I can't change a tyre? Or having to plea for everyone's assistance with my kids, because I can't cope? Which is how I feel, when I can't just go to school, at the drop of a hat, because one of my children is ill. And I can't walk there, but gi me 3 wheels, and I can beat any walker/runner. Me without wheels, even for 48 hours, it's like an able bodied person losing their legs for 48 hours!! Yes I'm sure they wouldn't die, but it's just too cruel, and totally avoidable.

Then there is my Mum, who was so made up last week, because I managed extra visits because I was able to cycle there. It was great!!

Anyway, I don't really know why I'm telling you all this, because you know better than most the impact of being immobile has on so many lives now.

Believe me I have searched out alternatives, as part of my role as Welfare Officer with the Inclusive Cycling Forum. Yes there are a few bike mechanics, that do emergencies (a bit like the AA) but they don't operate, within a mile of your home. Which considering all my daily runs, are within a mile. That's no good. My local 'Bike Tree' have kind of admitted that they can't help me, if the gears break again. And It cost me £50 plus £30 taxi fare and 24hrs to take it to Recycle last time.

I must have been shown a hundred times how to do simple repairs, and I have so many cycle enthusiasts, around the country, who'll be at the end of a phone. But s'times I just want to be INDEPENDANT.

Please Can you vouch for me Steve Marsden (CTC), that 1) I have searched out and priced all sorts of cycles, to use as a spare, and in your experience of me and my capabilities, the safer option would be another Recumbent. The cheapest and most suitable is an Anura for £1195. It is sold by the same company I bought my first one from, it's the nearest and it's in Melbourne Derbyshire. They will deliver it.

Sorry it's long winded.

Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. To Kevin,

    I'm so sorry I do hope I didn't offend you, I've just re read what I put.....Ooooops :Dxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all sniffly now... had a 'disability harrassment' day at work :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, has anyone ever shown you tyreweld? Puncture repair stuff in a bottle. It isn't the best stuff 'cos it'll make a mess of the innertube but it might be enough of a fix to get you home/to bike shop/etc.
    I'll see if I can pick some up and have a play to see how easy it is - I think it is no harder than fitting a pump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the Disability Harrasment Day, meant to be or were you being bullied, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just re read, and thank goodness, for some reason, it didnt copy half the email.

    Iknow you think I'm barmy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right - You've had a run of some prtty nice things happening, then Thursday was the last Hillsborough for 2010 (and you've said nothing about that yet....

    Had to be some downside stuff along the way ut I'll keep returning to that Michael Winner voice "Its only Life/A Commercial"

    Hope you've dusted yourself down by Monday as I'm in town and might threaten a visit before or after meetings. I'm also going to drop in on the Station Manager for Sheffield and might see what went wrong on your last trip, and sorting them out.

    Trikes don't have to be new & expensive nor does every cyclist have to be self sufficient to the nth degree get yourself sat down - call me (but not between 10.00 and 18.00 today. and have a blub to get it out of your system.

    I'll be happy to listen but won't go all softie feely sorrofude sniffledo sobby with deep woe 9as professor Stnaley Unwin might have put it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Offend me? Are you brain damaged or something? :o)

    The 'tyre weld' solution is great for a get you home fix - assuming you've got the manual dexterity to get it on the valve and in the tube - but it just puts off the inevitable fix required.

    INDEPENDENCE - you're right to shout it, that's the key and the crux of the argument.

    (What happened to the electric assist? Having one trike with that option could extend your range when you need it.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iould LOVE it if I was able to fix my lovely trike, but despite, the CTC sending me on mainanance courses, and being shown so many times I hate it, when I get a flat, it means me being housebound for a week. And begging favours off, the school Mums.When my ex husband drove my mobility car and I was a passenger s'times, not only were we exempt from VAT, but we would get a courtessy car, (I have to pay VAT on a cycle!!!) if the repair was going to take longer, than 24hrs. We would get a car delivered to borrow!! As my mobility aid, is less easy common. Surely a spare is the answer.

    I did brifly check out some elec assist, but they were too expensive.

    And for those who worry that I'd end up with 2 broken trikes??? There's absolutely no way, I need one, to get on with my life.

    I said in my initial letter, (oops) that I thought I'd copied to my blog? That me, getting a puncture or being trike less for 24 hours. Isn't a long time, but it's as bad as an able bodied person losing their legs for 24 hours!! It's just too cruel!!!
    Sorry Kev. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, one of the managers at work being an idiot... Hopefully I've got the union rep dealing with him on Monday...

    ReplyDelete