Friday 19 November 2010

Invalid Carriage

I have spoken with Maggie who was wonderful as always. She has always been so supportive of me, and I have known her 22 years now. Infact she has dealt with so many legal battles, that as soon as J* left me. She sought my permission to advise my solicitor. And I'm so very pleased she did. Her advise this time, sounded a bit like passing the book, but because I know her, I know it wasn't like that when she advised me to seek a Certificate confirming that I need a Class 1 invalid carriage, (my super cool Ziggy) to show on train journeys. off my GP as he's possibly got a template for folk who use wheelchairs. But to get back if I didn't have any joy.

My SW, came this morning to 'divvy' up my money, in the form of writing how I was spending my money. Included was a new Greenspeed Anura, as a spare, so I would no longer be housebound because I'd got a puncture, although I do intend to get a new track pump, and have another go myself. Paul at Recycle said that all my tyres had tyre lining stuff already in, but they put on the stuff Rob sent, because I had asked them too.

I didn't have a lot of spare time today, and it was a bit foggy and my lights are a bit tiny!!! So I just gave Ziggy a spin to school, and onto the shops. My seat and my arse seem good and firm now :D But I still span the pedals once. I'm sorry Rob and Carol, but I think your services may be required, but maybe if I buy the Anura off you, maybe coincide delivery with a visit??? Oooooooooh I've got it all planned:D

Urrrm, I got deserved slapped wrists, fom Daisy for kissing a guy who looked like 'Wagner' (apparently) I don't think it was a compliment!! - I know she walked in on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I've been reading up on becoming a public speaker :)

10 comments:

  1. Caroline - if you do find someone with a template that works than you'll have done better that we have so far, and this needs to be sorted out and downloadable - probably from ICF website if it needs to find a home.

    Remember that if you can get the paperwork right a cycle used by a person qualifying to use a Class 1 Invalid Carriage (using the more recent EU classification of a PRM (Person with Reduced Mobility))fully meets the specification of a Class 1 Invalid Carriage, and should be regarded as such.

    This then presents an interesting issue as UK legislation for trains and trams provides for accommodation of a 'standard wheelchair' as the basic mobility aid that meest the Class 1 criteria, and obviously if you want to use the space provided on rail vehicles, it is sensible to ensure your cycle can fit into the same space as a standard wheelchair, and it may be desirable to work along the same lines as applied to battery scooters so that your cycle can be 'approved as one that can fit into the space provided.

    The EU regulations on accessibility also cover buses and coaches, and all new service buses and coaches, for nearly a decade now, have had to be accessible to wheelchair users. Looking at the buses that Pat drives (TM), most are well suited to rolling on with Ziggy, and the First bus - very frequent service - from Tot to Town are also manageable but could requere some tricky shuttling about to reverse to get off.

    Might be something to work on if I have time when I visit SHF soon.

    Final flourish - mobility aids are IIRC like motability cars, VAT exempt. Again we do not seem to have a definitive National position from HMRC, and with VAT going up to 20% in January, I recknon that a VAT-exempt confirmation might make a nice Christmas present for those looking to get a mobility aid cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do what I can from my comfort zone. But I am not physically strong enough, to battle Ziggy on bus or train, on my own. And I don't want to experience unhelpful staff again.

    I have also done a bit on the Vat front although, I aint heard owt. I did get an accknowledgement though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I've travelled on trains I've taken a bungie cord and put the trike up against the wall and bungied the cranks to overhead bits and pieces so it takes up almost no space... That may be easier for me to do than you tho.

    Paul suggested to us that it might just be that you need to give the kickplates a firm kick to make sure the gear has clicked over. If it spins again can you try kicking the same kickplate again to make sure it is fully engaged and let me know if that helps?

    I'm looking to find time to pop up one Saturday to take a look. I'm busy at work at the moment - let me know if the above doesn't help and I'll find time to come up and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you achieve the VAT thing I'll be very interested. We often get asked to knock the VAT off for our registered disabled customers and it is disappointing to tell them that we just aren't allowed to do it for them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you know me, I'll speak about owt, that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have met some folk who claim they (or someone they know) has purchase a Class 1 Invalid Carriage (with pedals) with VAT @ 0%.

    I have dropped a hint or two but (unfortunately not Caroline or Kevin due to parliamentary etiquette) people can get their MP to ask a parliamentary question (PQ) for the appropriate minister to provide information. Something along the lines of confirming a Class 1 Invalid Carriage is exempt from VAT, and then confirming that a cycle used by a qualifying person for the qualifying purpose is a Class 1 Invalid Carriage. You can also try you local VAT Office. Now if we can knock this one through and get a confirmation/decision sharpish it would make a fantastic Christmas Present - and just nicely in time for when VAT increases to 20%

    Rob's commentary on your kick plates and how they 'felt' to me does seem to accord to a conclusion that they ain't doing the job as effectively as having naked buttons that you kick directly with your heels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am gonna see if anyone is successfull, in applying for the Innovation fund, for an all inclusive Cycling place. Then I'm going to say, aren't they giving 2 messages, to folk who want to use their own power to get about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yes you kick the 'buttons' if you have size 8+ But if you dont, I had to 'Stop' lean forward and press it through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because actually, I've just thoufght when I borrowed Jezza? I also borrowed Carols size 7 SPDs. My size is a 5, and I never really made that connection,but I'm sure I used to be able to on Jezza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just thought again Jezza didn't have a schlmfph????

    ReplyDelete